There is an ongoing debate about whether we should drink water or get it from our food. A recent study showed that school children are more interested in engaging in new activities and learning when they drink at least 1 to 1.5 litres of water a day. So let’s continue on the basis that we should drink water.
About 2/3 of the body is water, both inside and outside our cells. Most organs are involved in fluid balance though the kidneys are the major regulators, reabsorbing water into the blood stream or passing it as urine. We lose fluid daily from our bodies and need to replenish this through food and water. Drinking about 2.5 litres of water a day is thought to be enough to replace the daily loss:-
- 1.5 litres from urination
- 1 litre from the digestive tract and faeces
- 1 litre through the skin and lungs
Severe dehydration is a medical emergency that can result in death. When you start to feel thirsty you are already mildly dehydrated, so it is important to drink before feeling thirsty. Signs of moderate dehydration:-
- thirst, dry mouth
- dark coloured urine
- dry skin
- tiredness, muscle weakness
- headache, harder to concentrate
Tips for Drinking More Water
After reading a book on water, a patient complained that although I had told her about the virtues of drinking water, I had not emphasised that it is impossible to be totally healthy without drinking enough water!
- Always have a bottle of water with you
- Add fresh lemon juice if you find it difficult to drink water
- Drink water when you have coffee, tea, soft drinks, sugar or alcohol, which are all dehydrating
- Your body also has to work to extract the water so why not give it straight up.
- Keep your urine clear and light coloured
Nutritional Support is best managed with professional help to assess accurately
We are happy to advise you on your health matters. To learn about the full range of services offered by Aether Bios Clinic take a look at our website.
Aether Bios Clinic (Breath of Life)
(In Greek Aether is the breath that the higher Gods breathe, Bios is Life)
Tel: 01273 309557
Mobile: 07710 227038