We all seem to be more susceptible to colds and flu in the winter months, yet if our immune systems are working well we should be able to fight the bugs and avoid being ill or at least limit the length and intensity the bug has on us. Both are viral infections so are not treatable with antibiotics.
Research has suggested that several natural remedies can help the immune system fight viral infections. Many of these anti-viral substances also have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
VITAMINS AND MINERALS
- Vitamin B3 (Nicotinamide), B6 (P5P), B12 (Cobalamin), C and flavinoids in citrus fruits
- Vitamin D has a role in regulating the immune system
- A mixture of amino acids lysine, proline and N-acetyl-cysteine, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), selenium mineral and green tea extract was shown to inhibit influenza.
- A mixture of Vitamin A and beta carotene, some B’s (particularly B12), E with minerals magnesium, selenium and zinc was as effective as pharmaceutical anti-viral drugs against bird flu
- A mixture of coenzyme Q10, selenium and amino acid methionine helped recurrent viral infections
Since May 2011 herbal medicines are strictly regulated in UK. Many remedies manufactured before that date are still available. Only about 80 products are licensed for use in UK and some are available as foods.
- Astragalus, capryllic acid, Chinese herbs (many varieties), cordyceps militaris (mushroom variety), curcumin (tumeric), dandelion extract, echinacea, gardenia, licorice root (avoid in raised blood pressure)
WHAT TO DO?
- Get outside in the fresh air and expose yourself to winter sunshine when you can
- Take regular gentle exercise
- Manage stress as it impacts negatively on the immune system
- Include anti-viral food in your diet:
- brazil nuts for selenium
- citrus fruits for vitamin C, nutrients are richest if picked when ripe
- carrots for beta carotene
- fruit and vegetables for zinc, though our soil is quite depleted
- garlic and onions, ginger, tumeric (commonly used in curries)
- green tea
- spirulina has a unique blend of nutrients that no single source can offer, including B vitamins, minerals, proteins, gamma-linolenic acid and the super anti-oxidants such as beta-carotene, vitamin E, trace elements and a number of unexplored bioactive compounds.
- whole grains, including brown rice for B vitamins, meat or marmite for B12
- Remedies that you many need in addition to a good diet
- Vitamin C in small regular doses or time release, D, selenium, zinc
We are happy to advise you on your health matters.
Aether Bios Clinic
Tel: 01273 309557
Mobile: 07710 227038